For many companies, email marketing is not just a part of their marketing strategy; it is the foundation of it. It’s no surprise either – according to 80% of professionals, email marketing campaigns drive customer acquisition and retention for their businesses. Plus, it is one of the most cost-effective marketing methods since it is a way to reach people in a place they visit every day – their email inbox. More importantly, because of opt-in requirements, you’re contacting people who have invited you into their inbox. Instead of cold calls, email marketing allows you to connect with people who actually want to hear from your business.
If you’ve been on the fence about pursuing an email marketing strategy, here are some facts about this avenue of marketing.
1. Email is one of the most used methods of communication. With the amount of emerging technology today, we admit that email isn’t very flashy or exciting. But it is a method of communication that is highly used and that is arguably more important than “flashy” or “exciting”. Take this statistic, for example:
205 billion emails are sent every day with an estimated 246 billion to be sent per day by the end of 2019.
2. Consumers are looking for content in more places than social media. The more Facebook is in the news for shady practices, the more it is criticized by consumers and brands. Social media platforms are always going to be popular, but as mistrust for them grows, people are looking for alternative ways to receive their content. From a brand’s perspective, email is a way to connect directly with a consumer without jumping through the algorithm hoops on social media.
3. You can reach a mobile audience. The number of smartphone users is expected to pass the 5 billion mark this year. This seems like a realistic stat when you consider how unusual it is to see someone without a smartphone in their hand. We carry them with us everywhere — which means we’re also carrying our inboxes everywhere. Sending out mobile optimized emails is one of the best ways to target your customers on the move. Just remember, customers will click straight from an email over to your website. They’re also likely to do online shopping from their phones, so make sure your website is optimized for mobile as well as your emails!
4. It converts better than social media and search. Speaking of consumers clicking over to your website, studies have shown that email marketing has a higher conversion rate than social media and search combined! While that doesn’t mean you should throw SEO and social media marketing out the window, it’s important to realize the power email holds to convert prospects into customers.
5. Consumers want to hear from you. 61% of consumers reported that they enjoy receiving promotional emails weekly. It gives them a direct connection with your brand that is hard to come by anywhere else. Personalized emails with a focus on storytelling (and not just sales pitches) go a long way with today’s consumers who are constantly bombarded with #ad and #sponsored posts on social media. A targeted email marketing campaign with a focus on high-quality content can make your brand seem more human and relatable and give consumers the sense of authenticity they’re looking for.
Despite new trends and marketing tools, email marketing remains one of the most cost-effective channels available to businesses. Interested in creating an email marketing strategy for your business? Our email marketing team creates strategies that produce results, centered around relevant content and creative thinking.